Friday, December 2, 2011

It's tAnya, not tOnya!

Yes, my name is Tanya, with an "A" not an "O". Yet I get called Tonya a lot. I have nothing against the name, in fact, I've known a couple great Tonya's in my life. It's just not MY name. So I really don't like being called it.

We had a new receptionist start here a few days ago. She'd been here maybe 3 days when I strolled in one morning, coat on, coffee in hand and cheerily sang out, "Good morning Barb!" as I walked by the reception desk.

She looked up, gave me a funny look and hesitantly said, "Good morning."

When I reached my desk I was feeling pretty bad. I mean, it was pretty presumptuous of me to call her Barb, when clearly I remembered from the email that went out her name ended with an A. Damn it, I should have said Barbara. Not everyone likes their names shortened. I mean, I really don't like being called Tonya and what is the difference between calling a Tanya a Tonya or a Barbara a Barb - it isn't her name. I guess if she wanted to be called Barb, the email would have read, please welcome Barb. Not Barbara.

Well, what is done is done. I will just fix it, that's all. Apologize for taking the liberty of shortening her name, which she obviously didn't like, and then never do it again.


So on my next trip by her desk, I said, "Oh hey, sorry, about earlier, do you prefer Barb or Barbara?"

She said, "What?"

I said, "Do you prefer Barbara, I called you Barb earlier, but do you prefer Barbara?"

She said, "Actually I prefer Debra."



OMG.

I said, "My name is Tanya, but you can call me Tonya."




.

No comments:

Post a Comment