Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Burning Babies

On the weekend I was having a pint in the company of a firefighter. I asked him if he'd ever saved a burning baby. He said that he generally tried to save babies before they were burning...something about it being an unsuccessful 'save' if the baby was burning.

I told him I used to play a computer game where you had to move firemen around to save babies from a burning building. It think it was called Bouncing Babies.

Anyhow, he had apparently never specifically saved a baby.

So I guess I won, cause on a good day, I could save like a hundred babies.


But he had saved lives with CPR and pulled a couple cats out of trees. Yes, the cat thing, it really happens.


I know. I was surprised too.


But not as surprised as when he continued on with, "Oh and once I saved a bird from a tree!"





A bird?



A BIRD?

Saved? From a TREE?


So I said, "You do know birds live in trees, right?"

...then I said, "Have you ever saved any fish from the river? Maybe you've saved a deer from the woods? A goat from his mountain?"

...then I said, "Once I saved a gopher from the ground...with a gun!"

Then I was quiet for a split second, just to take a breath and he said, "Haha. No it was a parrot that escaped from his owner and flew into a tree. We set up the rescue ladders then when we climbed up to grab him, he got scared and flew to another branch, so we climbed down, moved the ladders, climbed up, went to grab him again, he flew to another branch.... This happened 4 or 5 times, then the parrot flew down and landed on the owners arm and we left."



I don't know, but I think he should have just let me keep talking.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment